Friday, January 25, 2013

Getting Back The Number 1 Spot..




Disappointment is the right term when I learned that Ate Bob placed second in her academics during the first trimester. I felt like with her being second means I was not able to give her the correct tutorials that she needed during the first three months of the school year. In short I felt bad. I need to level up my strategies in teaching which have been so challenging to me given that it really puts my patience and perseverance to test. Since I am a hands on dad, I have to bear the pressure and the weight of the work as well.

I am not really sure though how Ate Bob felt that time but she was sad I guess since I saw her eyes drooped when she told me about it. I know I was upset and I was a bit too much to her during that time and for that I am sorry. After that we sat down and strategize what we will do in order to get her number 1 spot. Everyday, it was all encouragement and total brainwashing was in the offing. I have to instill in her that no matter what we will do our best. I know I am reacting too much but I just cannot accept that at the end of the year during her graduation she will not deliver the valedictory address. I would be shattered to pieces if ever that happens. It has been my goal that before I leave on March, I will write her valedictory address. Although I wont be here to witness that faithful day, at least I am a part of it.

And so we worked double time. I have to be home early after office at 6 to be beside her in all her assignments. I help her out in all the upcoming topics and we review all the topics that will be taken up the following day. In short, I do advance tutorials for her. There was no TV during night time. For her arts classes, we would practice together how to use water colors and I would teach her simple techniques. even during play time, I would still quiz her on her math subjects. With regards to her Filipino class, it was doubly challenging learning new Filipino words for her. I would write all the English translations in her book and quiz her about it. And since I photocopied all her books, all the practice exercises in school are done first in the house and repeated in school. Meaning, she always have to do it twice. Poor Ate Bob!

There were times when we would always argue on many things. There were times when she would give up. At times to, it's me who will almost give up as i would have my temper flare up. Voices are raised and sometimes belts are prepared. Tears and bruised feelings would ensue at times. But at the end of the day, we would always hug each other during night time taking everything one at a time.

And so last night, when I got home her eyes beamed like a star and she shouted at the top of her voice while I was still on the gate that she got her number 1 spot back. Cool! I was the picture of happiest dad again! She told me that for now we could celebrate by eating outside.

Two more months and it will be her graduation. That means two more months of sitting down with Ate Bob every afternoon of learning and practicing.Going for the gold! :)

I am a competitive Daddy I know. But I also make sure that the process of learning is fun for Ate Bob. That's what makes our study time more worthwhile.

In other news, let's support PBO in its next project, "PBO's Bazaar for a Cause". And for this project, Ate Bob and Baby Dax will donate their pre-loved dresses with permission from wifey of course.



These dresses were only worn once for our family picture during Christmas of 2010. It carries our own label A & Q (named after Ate Bob and Dax, their real names are Ava and Qada) as we are into small time manufacturing of dresses like these before. Actually, the cloth used were just left overs from the Barbie brand we used to sew :) These dresses would fit into a 2 year old and a 4 year old.


13 comments:

Senyor Iskwater said...

Oh my... I am happy for ate Bob....and for you na super hands on... Galing...

At her age, she really knows how to make you happy... Worth it ang pa uwi ng super aga from office... Worth it ang small fights niyo ni Ate Bob...

2 months na lang and I am sure she will deliver that valedictory speech... For sure, we will be updated sa content ng speech. Yey...


Thanks for mentioning our even and thanks for the pretty dresses...

Rix said...

I think ate Bob can do it. Nagawa na nya ulit na makabalik so tuloy tuloy na yan :)

June | Life and Spices said...

Naalala ko tuloy ganyan din ako nung bata..nakakatakot.. lalo na pag may belt.. really makes me cry...

Good Job dad! seeing Ate bob will be competitive when she grows up

88-Nutty Thoughts-88 said...

congrats Ate Bob!!!


and ang cute ng barbie-ish dresses!

bagay ko man yan.. :)

88-Nutty Thoughts-88 said...

until now hindi po ako makapag move on sa I Corinthians 13.....

*faith,hope and LOVE.*

Phioxee said...

wow seldom lang ako nakakakita na hands on na tatay sa anak. usually mommy kasi yung ganun. puro dictate lang si dad.

joy said...

I remember nong nasa pilipinas pa ako, lagi rin ako nag review sa aking mga anak dahil nasa honor roll din sila lagi at nagagalit din ako pag meron silang mali sa mga exams. But, na realize ko din na parang mali yata. kasi parang mas importante ang honor nila at hindi mismo sila sa akin. I regret that I was angry with my children pag may mga mali sa exams. But, they did their best, Yon ang importante. Sa Pilipinas kasi, may honor role and we want to be the best. Dito wala sa mga schools bacause they want to teach the children na everybody is equal whether they are retarded or normal or matalino.
But, I understand you dahil you wish the best for them. And good luck. I admire you. You are a good father.

Mar Unplog said...

Hands on ka talaga sa kanila sir Earl, galing naman.

Go for the gold Ate Bob!

Salamat sa suporta na ibinibigay mo sa PBO!!

Pao Kun said...

Wow! Napaka responsible na dad mo daddy cool! Cool! :))

And congrats to ate Bob!

Well anyway second place isn't bad at all, but we should not settle for the second best, go for the best! So again congrats to ate Bob for getting her feet back right on the mark, again! ;)

Archieviner said...

Congrats ate Bob and of course to you Daddy Cool. 2 months nalang. Kayang kaya ni Ate Bob. Naeexcite din ako. hehe! Hands on dad, kudos to u :D


Thanks for supporting PBO :D

ZaiZai said...

Congrats Daddy Cool and Ate Bob! Back to number 1! :)

Thanks sa support sa PBO, kung kasya lang sa akin ang dresses, bibilin ko yan! Hehe :)

Gracie said...

How I wish I had a dad like you, you live up to your nickname - daddy cool hehe. Why do i wish? Coz I was on top of the honor roll in our class during elementary (i didn't go to kindergarten), and everytime I need assistance with my school works, my parents couldn't help me. Btw, they were teachers :( It's so depressing and I wanted to maintain my being on top but as a young once, life wasn't that easy. kids suffer too. so kudos for being a hands on dad to your kids, they knew they could treat you their dad (with authority) and a bestfriend (they can have fun with) as well.

Lovely dresses by the way, and wow! Impressive that you personally sew their dresses ha! More success for PBO!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Great job Ate Bob and Dad.

Were your parents like that too sa 'yo?

I think grabe ang competition diyan sa Pinas. I know my friends are like that too na nagrereview sa kids nila and all.

I am not sa aking kids. :( Remind lang ako with school works and and give ideas sa projects. Maybe because, walang randking system here except in HS. I think the only time I can remember na I helped review my daughter was for an academic team tournament.